Search form


EDtours FAQ

Printer-friendly version
  • CORE EDtours

    Can I stay on after the tour for a holiday?

    Yes, as long as your visa is valid. CORE can help arrange your holiday itinerary.

    Can I change where I stay?

    Yes. This will be negotiated with CORE.

    Where will I stay?

    This will be dependant on the individual or group circumstances. Generally short visits will have hotel accommodation and longer visits will be in a house or home stay arrangement.

    Who will meet me at the airport?

    CORE Education Personnel will meet you at the airport and take you to your accommodation.

    Do I need to pay fees at the time of application?

    No. We will send you a letter of acceptance (terms and conditions) and statement of fees. The statement of fees shows the amount you pay.

    How can I pay?

    There are a number of ways to pay:

    • Bank cheque: Send a cheque in NZ dollars payable to CORE Education Ltd
    • International Foreign Exchange Transfer: Inform your bank to transfer money to our bank. Bank account details will be sent after you enrol. Please remember to include NZ$20 to cover bank charges.


    Our itineraries sometimes change during the course of the year. Sometimes this will be as a result of improvements stemming from past feedback, sometimes it will be due to logistical practicalities - for example a change within a particular school. We will not always be able to advise you in advance of these changes. We ask for your understanding and patience.

    How can I apply?

    On each of the tour pages you will find a button entitled: "Register expression of interest". Click on this button, and you will be taken to the appropriate online form.

    What are the benefits of an EDtour?

    • Broadens perspectives and outlook of educators
    • Enhances the capacity and capabilities of educators
    • Cultivates and promotes the culture of innovation
    • Provides exposure to entrepreneurial environments, public and private sector
    • Supports practical ‘hands on’ learning under guidance and mentor support
    • Promotes sustained practice through discussion and dialogue in an online environment
    • Provides interesting teaching strategies that would benefit students and educators
    • Encourages all participants to engage in "reflective" and research on action attitudes to enhance professional practice

    Who travels on an EDtour?

    Educators in all sectors of the education system within New Zealand or abroad, including; government officials, principals, senior leaders, teachers and boards of trustees members.

    What is an EDtour?

    CORE's EDtours are tailored to suit the individual or group. They range from two days to one week. During this time educators will have a chance to observe examples of teaching and learning within New Zealand or overseas schools. Tours can be tailored towards a particular curriculum or professional development focus if required.

  • CORE Education

    How does CORE differ from other educational orgainisations?

    CORE has gained a reputation - not just nationally, but internationally - for its innovative professional development and its promotion of technologies for learning across all education and training sectors. It is also known for the promotion of the use of new technologies to support teaching and learning across all education and training sectors.

    Who is CORE Education?

    CORE Education Limited is a not-for-profit educational research and development organisation with an international reputation for the support and promotion of the use of new technologies to support teaching and learning across all education and training sectors. See: About CORE Education

  • Living in New Zealand

    What is the climate in Christchurch?

    New Zealand being in the southern hemisphere has the inverse seasons to Europe and North America. Christchurch/Canterbury have warm-to-hot summers with maximum temperatures 27 to 33 degrees, while winters range from 2 to 12 degrees.

    Summer - December to February
    Autumn - March to May
    Winter - June to August
    Spring - September to November.

    What is the time difference from the rest of the world?

    New Zealand Standard Time is currently defined in the Time Act 1974 as a meaning the 12 hours in advance of Co-ordinated Universal Time. New Zealand also has daylight saving which commences on the last Sunday in September, when 2.00am becomes 3.00am, and ends on the first Sunday in April the following year, when 3.00am becomes 2.00am.

    Do I need a car to get around Christchurch?

    No. Christchurch has a very good public system, with plenty of buses and taxis.

    Can I drive in New Zealand?

    When you drive in New Zealand you must have a valid international drivers licence. Always carry your licence with you when you drive as if you were stopped by Police you could be fined.

    Is the water safe to drink?

    New Zealand tap water is safe to drink.

    Can I use my computer in New Zealand?

    Yes. NZ has access to wireless local area networks (LAN) and hard-wired cabling. NZ voltage is 240 volts.

    Customs declarations

    New Zealand has strict laws to protect its agricultural industries from imported pests and diseases. Items such as food, plants and animal materials must be declared.

    Banks and Money

    Bring your credit card, travellers' cheques and some New Zealand dollars in mixed denominations, for example $5, $10 and $20. Cash over NZ$10,000 must be declared when you enter New Zealand. Many New Zealand banks allow you to open an account prior to leaving your home country, for travellers staying for longer periods.

    Do I need a visa?

    You must carry a valid passport and have obtained the appropriate visas when travelling to New Zealand. Please ensure your passport is valid 6 months beyond the duration of the trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are in possession of the correct visas for your travel. CORE Education cannot accept responsibility if you are refused entry into New Zealand because you lack the correct visa documentation.Read more (NZ immigration).